| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | st. boswells scotland |

St. Boswells Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.

Articles about St. Boswells' History

Boundaries of the Parish
The Parish of St Boswells is roughly 3 miles by 1 miles with the village situated in the north-eastern corner........


History of St Boswells Parish Church
The original church, dedicated to St Mary was at Lessudden, and is recorded as early as 1153........


Ministers of St. Boswells Church
Former Ministers of St Boswells Parish Church from 1593 to the present day........


Ministers of St Modan's Free Church
Former Ministers of St Modans Free Church from 1843 to 1939........


St Boswells War Memorial
To the Memory of the Men of St Boswells Parish who fell in the Great War........


Jean Lawrie and "Old St Boswells"
Much of this history section is based upon Jean's work, the use of which has been graciously granted by Christine and Roy........


Old Melrose
At some date between 635 and 650 Aidan and his twelve young men set off from Lindisfarne and reached Tweed........


Old St Boswells
It is very difficult to find any records of the earliest inhabitants of this parish........


St Boisil
Among the youths brought by Aidan to Mailros was one named Boisil........


St Boisils Village
The village of St Boisil's was occupied for many years after his departure, but by the 17th century it was only a collection of ruined houses........


The Green
Originally the Green was a much greater stretch of grass than it is today for it ran from where the bus station now stands to Greenend........


St Boswells Mill
The cornmill of St Boswells had always belonged to the monks of Dryburgh........


The Fair
The Fair is held annually on July 18th, it being the Saint's Day of Boisil in the Gregorian calendar........


St Boswells Fair - The Great Riot of 1853
The Fairground was the scene of the great fight in 1853 at the time when gangs of Irish navvies were working on the new railway........


The Public Hall
In 1893, it was suggested that the village should have a new Public Hall, large enough for events involving the increasing population........


The Hunt Kennels
Beside the Cricket Pitch, and behind Lawries Garage, stood the kennels of the Duke of Buccleuch's Hunt........


The False Alarm and "The Beacon Denner"
The village had its share of troubles in the olden days, as is evident from some of the place-names still in existence........


Lessudden House
At the east end of the village stands Lessudden House, the home for many years of the Scotts of Raeburn........


John Younger
John Younger was a poet and writer by nature, a shoemaker by trade and an inveterate angler........


William Rankine
William Rankine was a native of Lessudden, who, after a serious illness in his childhood, was left blind........


John Doran Caird
John was born in Edinburgh on November 26 1939 and grew up in the Borders of Scotland.........


St Boswells Song
The St Boswells Song by Martin Innes.........


Back to: History of St. Boswells