|| the-scottish-villages.co.uk |||| st. boswells scotland ||
St. Boswells Scotland
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of St. Boswells in Scotland.
The original church, dedicated to St Mary was at Lessudden, and is recorded as early as 1153. The site of this building is not recorded, but is likely to have been near to Lessudden House, where a 17th century mausoleum still stands.
In 1652, the church was removed to a new building, the remains of which are in the present St Boswells Cemetery at Benrig. By 1790, the church was 'ruinous, unpleasant, extremely cold and injurious to health' but the heritors who were responsible for its upkeep, did a very major refurbishment in various stages over the years. It was enlarged in 1824, had heating installed in 1833, and an organ bought in 1888.
When the St Boswells Free Church, which stood in the middle of the village, became vacant in 1940, the Benrig building was abandoned and the congregation moved into the village site. There they remain.
A major rebuild was carried out in 1957.
The stained glass windows above the Communion Table were given by Walter Ballantyne in 1958 in memory of his parents and grandparents, and the Dove Window by James Meldrum in 1985.
Back to: Articles about St. Boswells' History