Beside the Cricket Pitch, and behind Lawries Garage, stood the kennels of the Duke of Buccleuch's Hunt.
First built in 1836, they served as a sub-unit of the main kennels at Dalkeith Palace. In 1843, they were much improved and made permanent. This was a great asset for the Village as before the days of motor cars, as many as 350 extra people came into the village during the hunting season, accommodation needing to be found for huntsmen, grooms and horses. Every hunt member in those times had two horses, each only being used for half a hunting day, the groom changing them over at the middle of the day.
The Hunt continued to be based at the Green until the late 1990's when with the imminent passing of the new laws banning fox-hunting in Scotland, the hunt no longer needed the kennels at St Boswells, and the remaining hounds were moved to Greenwells, near Eildon Hall.
The Buccleuch Hunt site was then sold to a housing developer who has converted some of the existing buildings, and built new houses which now sell for very high prices. The link with the Buccleuch Hunt remains in the name of the housing estate - Buccleuch Chase.
Back to: Articles about St. Boswells' History